What is the purpose of these time management tips? I have shared them with you so you can start managing your time better – today! Granted we can’t control how much time we have, but we can organize the time we do have to get the most out of it.
I’ve selected some of the best time management tips I’ve come upon and ones which I think are easier to follow, guaranteed to work and can be done by almost anybody.
1. The most common tip I’ve encountered is to make a list. This will not only make everything more organized, but it gives you a preview of what’s more important to you by a careful inspection after making one. It will help you prioritize and recognize flexibility among your tasks. Just make sure you follow what you’ve written according to the most important ones on top.
2. Having a routine is your secret weapon to successful time management. A strong routine will keep you focused, balanced and on track. And it means your list will stay organized too!
3. Recognize importance over urgency. According to an article, importance leads to achievement of goals while urgency is more for the achievement of someone else’s needs or an uncomfortable situation. Importance should always prevail. Since your aim is to target goals that gives you the greatest gains.
4. Pick out your time wasters. Do you “kill time” watching TV, browsing the internet, chatting on the phone, daydreaming, saying yes to everybody, saying yes to everything? All these things can affect your productivity negatively.
5. Do back track. This is a form of self-assessment. Track your activities in the past, get rid of the habits that can cost you time and determine what part of the day you work best. Then take on the most difficult tasks in those hours.
I had a teacher who once said to me that there was no such thing as “Time Management”, as we are all given the same amount of time each day – 24 hours. We can’t change that. A better term would be “Task Management”. I’ve never forgotten about that ever since.
Time management tips can help us to manage our time better and if we manage our time wisely we get our work done. We also improve our productivity and we get to more time to enjoy the things we want to do at the same time!